Hello Amanda,

> >Umkehrschlag - is this a turning stitch?  It seems to refer to using
> >CTCTCTCT instead of CTCT at the edge despite pinning inside both pairs
> >(for the purpose of not exchanging the metallic outer passive with the
> >worker).
> Correct.  Schlag = stitch
> Umkehr = turn or reverse

Exactly - I think it should be done as CTTC (which makes the runners

>  >Zänkelchen - from context I surmise this might mean picots (picots are
> I knew Pikot = picot.

Yes, it's an old (and I think not much used any more) word for picot.

>  >Längsklöppel - this refers to one or more pairs (or is it bobbins?).
> Klöppel is the German word for bobbin.  It is the word clapper in a bell,
> because on a German roll pillow the bobbins make a sound when the hanging
> bobbins hit the pillow.  The action is the same, not the sound.
> The singular and plural forms are the same.
>
> >Is it the worker?  The passives?
> It's literally a long bobbin, the passive.

Never heard this word even though it's my mother tongue. It could mean
the passives (which are usually referred to as "Rißpaar" or "passives
Paar"). Some context would be helpful here.

> >What would it mean for the pairs at the end of a tally to be
> >"zurückgeflochten"?  Babelfish translates this as "back-twisted".
> Plaited back.  Sounds like a false plait.

Yes - make the tally, end with TCTT, pin, lay the pairs back in the
opposite direction and plait back to the start of the tally.

Best, Achim from Berlin.