From: Patricia Dowden <pat...@netwiz.net>
Subject: RE: [lace] Beds always in silk?
To: "'Janice Blair'" <jbl...@sbcglobal.net>, "'dewitt'" <dew...@alaska.com>
Cc: "'lace'" <lace@arachne.com>
Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 12:54 PM

Anyway, I have decided to try a piece from Yvonne Scheele-Kerkhof's
beautiful
Floral Bedfordshire book, and hope I don't upset the purists by making Beds
in
colored silk.  Is it always made in cotton?

Janice

No, Janice.  Beds is not always in cotton and not always in white or even
one color.
I made a piece that is up on my Webshots page that I made with all in color
and mostly in silk.  I used YLI 50 as I recall.  It was great fun and a real
brain teaser.  Those who design Beds do not normally concern themselves with
which pair goes where in regards to keeping a stem green or a poppy all red.
But why be normal?  Changing colors does mean more hanging in and taking
out.  But it's great fun.  I distinctly remember feeling like a painter who
was getting the light just right.  And there are examples of color in Beds
from the 1800s.  One I can think of is in Bath's book "Lace".
One little
trick with silk when typing off is to put a drop of water on the knots.

Patty