Hi Sue -

Jane gave you good information which should help. The only other thing I can think is, how are you winding your bobbins? Are you using a winder, or doing it by hand? If by hand, are you wrapping the thread around the bobbin, or turning the bobbin in your hand to take up the thread?

This is more important than it sounds, because if you're wrapping the thread around the bobbin, chances are that you are untwisting the thread! Which is exactly what causes threads to "part with a sigh" (leaving the dwindling tail...) rather than snapping off at your pin.

Clay

Anyway about 2 inches into the lace on a cloth stitch trail I ended up with
a loose bobbin and thread in my hands.
This time I know I am not pulling too
hard, not flying through the work, working quite slowly and steadily, so Why
!!!

Most likely, at this time of year, we have the heating on and it is drying the thread out - cotton and linen are stronger wet than dry. Try leaving a damp tea-towel over your pillow at night.