Hi Mark,
I got some brilliant answers and explanations from lots of wonderful people on this list, so thank you all and yes it seems to be the Z twist with me and coming from the ground stitch, through the gimp and then into the cloth stitch. I knew I wasn't tugging too hard because in the past I have been guilty of that but have certainly been slow, steady and gentle with it. I am also taking much more care
when I have to lengthen the thread off the bobbins.

My problem is made worse by the fact that I did wind by hand and cant wind
it between my fingers as I should be doing, so making the situation much
worse.  Guess I better find a place to use my bobbin winder to avoid this in
the future.

Tonight I have spent about an hour working before going off to make our
evening meal and plan to continue after dinner.  If it breaks again, (and I
am watching to see if there is obvious evidence of it unwinding)  I think I
may well change threads and keep this one for torchon rather than BP because
of the extra twists in the ground making it much more likely.
Now Wednesday morning and I continued  working on into the evening, being
just a little more careful and aware of possible problems and nothing broke, <g>.
Thank you all for you help.  It is really good to have access to such an
incredible resource which you all willingly share.   I just hope you realise
how much we do appreciate that.
Sue T Dorset UK

Sue, Thanks for asking that question and Jane, thanks for answering
it. I currently am using a brand new spool of Bokens Linen size 80
on a Bruges Flower piece and it keeps breaking on me. GRRRR....Granted I
tend to tug hard so have to back off my tension. But it will break
--
Mark, aka Tatman
website: