The biggest problem with photographing lace in the study rooms of museums
is the lack of light, especially since you usually can't use a flash, and
even  if you could, it would wash out the detail. When selecting a camera try
to get  one that functions well in low light and has very little "camera
lag". When in  the typical low light conditions of a museum back room, the
camera tends to slow  down as it takes the picture, increasing the period of
time in which you have to  hold it perfectly still and thus the likelihood of
getting a poor picture due to  camera shake, when photographing "hand held".

One time I was taking a group to a museum back room and mentioned the light
 situation. The collections person made a point of having all the burnt out
light  bulbs in the room replaced just before our visit, and it made a big
difference!  If you are on friendly terms with the museum you are visiting,
perhaps you could  raise the question of light and whether there isn't any
way of bringing more  into the room. Even a few extra pole lamps pulled in
might make a  difference.

Devon