Whenever I make lace in a public place, someone is curious about when bobbin
lace was first made, and I trot out my story about King Henry VIII of England
- that lace does not appear on portraits painted during most of his lifetime.
His daughter, Elizabeth I, on the other hand, was painted many times prickly
all around with lace.  Then I always ask my audience if they know who Henry
VIII was.  I have asked little Inupiat boys from remote Alaska villages, I
have asked city teenagers oozing pop culture, and now I have asked Navajo kids
in dusty, worn-out cowboy boots this same question, and they have all answered
"Yes!" with instant enthusiasm, "He was the king of England with all the
wives."  By this time, the adults are interested too, and we all have a fun
conversation about the dates of his reign and how they compare with the
discovery and settlement of North America.  Give it a try sometime.  I would
love to hear how the conversation develops in other parts of the world.

A disclaimer: I'm not an art expert!  I just love to have something to hang my
dates on, and Henry VIII is very convenient, and entertaining too.  And I love
to look at art.  I have looked carefully at the portraits that I have come
across and I only remember once seeing one with a small amount of lace.  Has
anyone on this list seen contemporary portraits of Henry VIII with much lace?

Sally
Four Corners, New Mexico