I have meant to mention this for a long time....
While in Italy a few years ago, I visited the Museum of Texiles in Prato. There are some amazing textiles in very good condition which date back to some very early periods. There are several clerical garments with gold and silver bobbin lace. They are very simple torchon-like edgings, similar to those in Hermine Hartmann's "Tradition-Goldspitzen". Obviously, I guess the clergy could afford not to melt down its gold bobbin lace...(-: Anyway, should you find yourself in Tuscany, do try to make a visit to this wonderful museum.

Vicki in rainy Maryland

A quote in an email from Bridget Marrow from a previous email from (?):
"Very little actual lace survives from this (or any other) period because the valuable gold could be melted down and used again...."