I have the pattern in front of me, and see what you mean.
There are an awful lot of pairs, especially in the horizontal leaves.
Cannot think of another way but to use holders or similar.
I'm quite interested how you get on, as I fancy doing this pattern myself, but
am "tied" up with some floral Bucks for the moment.
Agnes Boddington- Ellougthon UK

David Collyer wrote:

Whilst I'm getting there and plodding on, I am just wondering whether there might be a better way that our collective heads can come up with. At present I find I am having to place bobbins on holders for every single pass and this is really slowing things down.