"U shaped wooden tines, shaped like tuning forks, with holes near opening to
pin to pillow, etc."
Perhaps these devices need a stand, so the base could be set into a strip of
two long pieces or perhaps better, a U shape.  If the bottom edge of the U
shaped device was squared off, or perhaps better, pegged, then they would sit
better in a stand.
In a pinch (since I don't have woodworking equipment where I live), one could
use one of those bakeable clays, or even something akin to plaster of Paris to
make a base from?
Too bad a wooden wine rack would be too far away?  I think one would have a
lot of wear and tear on the pillow with heavier items being pinned near or on
the edge of the pillow.
Someone must have a woodworking aptitude that could develop something?
 Perhaps a bit like a large bobbin rack, but lower, and larger and longer,
etc.?
Just amateur attempts to stir creative solutions . . .

Best,Susan Reishus