One more gizmo for collecting/holding bobbins is made by John Aebi.  Imagine a
wooden tuning fork with very long tines and no handle.  The tines taper at the
tips, so you can place it on the pillow and scoop the bobbins into it.  There's
a pinhole going through the tines at their tips, and another pinhole at the
base (same direction as the one through the tips).

By scooping bobbins into the slot between the tines and, if necessary, pinning
through the tines, I can quickly put a bunch (up to 10 pairs of Swiss bobbins)
aside in order.  They're reasonably stackable.  For longer storage, the "forks"
can stack and be held in place with a long pin through several of them.  I had
140+ pairs on my pillow for a 'sGravensmoerse scarf, stacked in these forks.
However, I didn't have to constantly add/remove as frequently as David is
doing.  I find them faster than knitting stitch holders and tongue
depressors/elastic, but still a bother.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com