These past two evenings my wife and I do our annual sitting at the Community
Building at the county fair watching over the building.  While we sit we
can¹t be idle.  So we bring projects.  Sunday afternoon I brought my bobbin
lace. I brought my big bolster with a tape lace project that is half done.
 I am most known for my tatting in my area.  So I would get the usual
comments of ³Is that tatting??²  then I go into my usual dialog explaining
what I am doing and how it works.  Not too many kids stopped by to ask
questions.  Mostly adults asking questions.
Last night I decided to bring my spinning wheel and work out my ongoing
roving.  This time the adults just watched me or just passed by with a
glance.  I concluded they either knew what I was doing and didn¹t ask
questions or decided to just pass by.  The kids(of all ages) however came
right up to me asking me all types of questions about my wheel, they liked
to handle the wool.
I don¹t know if it is the apparatus that I am working with(ie. Pillow and
bobbins, or massive wheel that looks like a machine) or could it be the
project that I am working on, or the tedium of the task.  Most adults say
about my bobbin lace, ³that is too tedious, I could never do that² or ³you
have to have good eyesight to do that².  Kids don¹t say that.  No
convictions.  But when I am at my wheel, I am just sitting in a relaxed
position a good distance from the machine.  Less stressful looking???  Less
inhibiting??  Not that I am stressed or inhibited by all means when working
my bobbin lace.  I find both lacemaking and spinning relaxing.  Sometimes to
the point of almost falling asleep LOL!
Spinning I assume is most recognizable in most areas and bobbin lace is not.
And the "machine" you work on can also play a role in that.  Most adults
know what a spinning wheel is, but I find that kids may not if not exposed
to that part of life history.  Harder is it to find the familiarity in
bobbin lace and its tools.  I get the same wonder from passer-bys but the
clientelle is different.

Tonight is our last night for bringing our projects to work on while we sit
at the building demonstrating.  I plan on bringing my bobbin lace and see if
I can finish that project.  Doubt it, but I will see what more questions are
asked and from whom and what will happen ;)

--
Mark, aka Tatman
website: http://www.tat-man.net