A couple of years ago, at a Society for Creative Anachronism Arts & Sciences
event for the Kingdom (region), I had entered some reticello I'd worked on.

As I was sitting and talking with people, one man came up to me (who is
really into making chain mail items), picked up my piece of lace, and told
me how he could never have the patience to do that.  All the intricate work,
all the time put into it.  He'd be throwing the thing across the room in no
time!

I knew he made his own chain mail armor, and asked him how long it took him
to do that.  Did he make the rings himself, or did he buy them pre-made?  He
started talking about how to make the rings (as he made them himself) and
how long it took to make a chain mail shirt.  Then I brought the
conversation back to the lace by saying, "See, I could never do what you do.
 I would never have the patience to cut the rings and make something as huge
as your armor!  And when my lace goes flying (which it does), and it hits
the TV, at least the lace is soft and it doesn't break the TV screen!"

He understood.

Most people have something they love doing that takes a lot of time and
effort to do well.  They just don't realize that whatever it is that
somebody else is doing is their thing that they love and takes a lot of time
and effort to do well.

Branwyn

--
Per pale argent and purpure, two phoenixes counterchanged sable and argent
each rising from flames proper.

"It is sometimes the most fragile things that have the power to endure and
become sources of strength."
- May Sarton

"Only a life lived in the service to others is worth living."- Albert
Einstein

"Out of clutter, find Simplicity. From discord, find Harmony. In the middle
of difficulty lies opportunity." - Albert Einstein

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have
imagined." - Henry David Thoreau