Simon Toustou is the only Canadian bobbin maker mentioned so far. I'd like to add three more names: Anton Nahorny (who died a number of years ago), Wray Barton and Gary Wood. The latter two may have retired.

My favourite bobbins were made by John Pollard (the Australian bobbin maker who was mentioned earlier) and Jack Smith (who lives in north Wales and has retired).

IMHO, Janet Retter (England) is the best bobbin painter in the universe! I have 39 of her bobbins - 28 of which I commissioned and which I call "My World Travels". Every time I visit a country that I haven't seen before, I send her a picture which she paints on the bobbin and also paints the bottom bead as a globe with the name of the country written on it. I love using those bobbins because they bring back so many memories.

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada
Visit the Seaspray Guild of Lacemakers web site:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/quinbot