Nathalie
The thread used for that lace is obviously very fine, but Brenda is right,
almost impossible to say from a photo.

That lace is a bobbin lace with Mechlin ground, from the period 1800 - 1820.
If you study the picture closely you will see tiny little white lines in the
ground which run parallel to the footside.  That is how you distinguish
Mechlin ground from point ground.  The small length of the repeat (the design
repeats itself over a short distance) and the spotting on the ground are
typical of Napoleonic era laces, which makes them relatively easy to date.  On
my website you can see other photos of this type of lace.
http://lynxlace.com/bobbinlacenapoleonic.html

http://lynxlace.com/bobbinlacerevivalerastraight.html  In this one, go about
3/4 of the way down the page and look for item #114.  It is a more recent
Mechlin than your piece, but the photo is better and you can see the little
white lines parallel to the footside in better magnification.  All the photos
are thumbnails, so you have to click on them to see the full detail.

I don't know anything about the history of knitting, but I have never heard
that knitting was invented as a way of imitating bobbin or needle lace.  It is
my uneducated impression that it developped as a practical solution to the
practical problem of socks.  There are many other forms of lace which
developped as an effort to imitate bobbin lace or needle lace.  Crochet styles
and methods developped for those reasons.  But I have not heard that said of
knitting.
Lorelei