In message <75BD933ACC4D4351A9385FCBFCAD7108@salex>, Alex Stillwell <alexstillw...@talktalk.net> writes
I have been researching Regency Bucks for over 15 years and found the 'Lace
News' article interesting.  Unfortunately the information about the dates,
presumably from the booklet by Jean Eke, Angela Brown and Sandi Woods is
inaccurate. I would have thought that the 'firat port of call' for anyone
researching Bucks would be The Luton Museum Lace Dealer's Pattern Book. My
edition dated 1998 contains illustrations of nine samples of Regency and one
containing both standard Floral Bucks and Regency Bucks. The the date given
for the pieces in the book is stated as appearing to date from around 1820 to
the end of the century.

As the Regency (ie the reign of the Prince Regent, in place of his father, George III) was from 1811 to 1820, which are the dates given in the book you mention (and therefore not inaccurate!), how can "Regency Lace" date from 1820 to the end of the century?

A quick Google gives the Wikipedia site (not always accurate information, admittedly) entry that the "Regency Period" can take in from 1795 to 1837 and Jean Eke et al, in their introduction, extend their period to 1775-1837 by "lacemakers license" to take in certain French reigns - again, I don't feel that this is in any way inaccurate as it is so described.

Have you considered that the information in the Luton book may be inaccurate? After all, the Victorians were known for their rose tinted spectacles where history was concerned, and this sounds as if they were thinking more of Prince Albert than Prince George!

There is no reason why "Regency Lace" cannot date from 2011, if it is made now, but dates referring to the Regency itself are surely pre-1820, not post.
--
Jane Partridge