It would seem to me that as long as lace was a luxury item (which it was until machine lace caused it to fall out of fashion...) the people who could afford good lace would only want the latest fashion, therefore, Regency lace would not have been as desirable in the later years of the 19th century. However, after the renewed interest in lace after the turn of the 20th century, *all* laces were desirable, so those who could make lace would use any patterns they had or could find.

Clay