Hi Everybody:

Alex - looking forward to that book of yours!

Haven't seen this "Lace News" thing so am only following the discussion in
ignorance, but I have two thoughts and one bit of new information:

1. Are we sure that the lace being labelled Regency means it was made in the
Regency? I'm not thinking about using old prickings here - I'm thinking of the
world of embroidery where you will find, especially in old magazines,
techniques ascribed to any old historical period that the publishers thought
would sell magazines. Then people studying that technique decades later don't
realize what happened and they painstakingly ascribe a technique to a time
period it never had anything to do with.

2. As you probably know, in the 19th century people loved to label stuff and
they might not have been drawing on accurate knowledge when they did the
labelling. You don't know how deep that wrong labelling has crawled into a
museum collection and I know I have had the experience of seeing something
wrongly labelled in a museum collection, and the museum's experts have assured
me I am wrong solely because what they've got on their label was what was on
the label in the collection when they got the item.

New information: LACMA, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, has mounted an
exhibit called "Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail 1700 - 1915".
Their catalogue has been published as a book, and I've got a copy. One
beautiful dress, very simple and probably made for a younger woman, has a
full-length lace overdress they describe as completely made of handmade Bucks
Point - in linen. The date is circa 1818. There is a closeup of the lace
pattern - quite a complicated lace flower with the net embellished by areas of
point-d'esprit. It appears as though the fabric of the dress has been built up
from strips of the patterned lace spaced a couple of inches apart from one
another, with plain bobbin net in the middle, and with a hem edging of a wider
lace, but there isn't enough detail to be sure. If anybody has gone to LACMA
and seen this dress (it had a bright yellow underdress) I would love to hear
your thoughts on how it was constructed. The item number is M.63.54.5

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)