Hi Malvary and everyone

To add to the ideas so far -
Bodge idea: Put the pricking tool with the styro or cork bit on its
end, into a spare envelope, fold the envelope around it and secure
with an elastic band.
More elegant: Tie a sturdy hanky around the tool + cork.
More elaborate: This idea requires a nice small lidded box a bit
longer than the pricking tool. Fit a piece of plastic foam to the box
and carve a  groove to hold the tool.

Another one I just thought of, thinking of covering needles --->
fabric needle cases... if the pin part of the pricking tool is long
enough, it can be stuck into a short length of felt (for instance)
with a long enough margin to fold around the tool handle, and up over
the point of the pin a few times to avoid accidental stabs. However
most pricking tools I've used, that don't have removeable points, have
a shortish point.

If the pricking tool is handle and collett (sp?) the pin part is
removeable, can be stored in a needle case when not in use. An aside,
I have an alumini/um pricker from  Australia (hi to Shirley T, whose
lace supply business it was!) - a brilliant design, with storage in
the handle, including a fitted piece to use as a screwdriver for the
workings. Excellent for packing in the tool pouch.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west
coast of Canada