Karen (and anybody who has pull at the museum):

Does the museum have the accession data on file? It would probably help to find
out what year the museum acquired it, who from, etc.

One intriguing thing I've found in the last few days (on eBay)  is a series of
patterns for filet crochet lace panels, published in 1914 and based on the
Bayeux tapestry. I'm just basing my thoughts on human behaviour - but if we see
a pattern to reproduce something so complicated in a wide-spread common home
technique like filet crochet, then it's likely that thing was in the news
within the preceding few years. I wonder if there was some kind of Bayeux
Tapestry anniversary or something, because it would be natural for some great
atelier to have made such a panel for a big event. I have a couple of big books
on the Bayeux Tapestry but sadly all my books are packed until my home is sold.
So that is where I would start with any investigation - you would think
something like the production of this huge piece of needlelace would have hit
the newspapers *somewhere* (possibly in Bayeux? Possibly in French?).

Hope this helps.

Adele
getting back to my packing in North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)