----- Original Message ----- From: <jeria...@aol.com>

Subject: Re: [lace] Bayeux Tapestry in needlelace

Catherine, The fact that lace was rarely signed and dated has been a
problem for scholars and museum personnel ever since large museums were
established in the 19th and 20th centuries. Lace traveled, either legally or smuggled. Lace was often made as part laces - elements by different lacemakers
(deliberately, so that they knew very  little about the entire design and
techniques). The concept of documentation would not have entered the minds
of uneducated poor lacemakers or  the agents who brought their laces to
market. By the 19th C., lace made to be sold in department stores did bear labels. The owners usually removed them, never thinking that there would be
provenance interest by  subsequent owners.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

Dear Jeri

Thank you for yet another very informative email. We are so fortunate to have such a knowlegeable lady who is also willing to share her findngs, which must take many hours of research to unearth!

I was aware of the above information and the making of Kate Middleton's wedding dress is a 21st C example of the need sometimes, to keep items made for a special occasion, a secret until the special ceremony of 'unveiling' to the nation. Each individual who worked on the dress (including ex students from the Royal School of Needlework at Hampton Court Palace) were sworn to secrecy. I read that even the manufacturers of the lace had no idea that the order was for Kate's dress but recognised their lace on the TV coverage of her wedding to William! However, all this is well documented for future generations.

I have worked my initials and date into several more recent pieces of my work but think it might be a good idea to perhaps include some details as to inspiration, reason for making i.e. competition theme (the Californian Poppies exhibition is a prime example), threads used etc. and put this in an envelope to perhaps tape to the back of a framed piece. There's no guarantee that this information would not become detached from the frame over a period of years but it would at least be a start.

Catherine Barley
UK

----  Catherine Barley <catherinebar...@btinternet.com> wrote:
I was  fortunate enough to see the photograph in Caen this summer and
 hopefully someone may be able to throw some light on the questions 'who,

when' where and why'?  If only these antiques laces could speak  and tell
us
who they belonged to, designer and maker and if made for  a special
occasion.
This just shows how important it is to include  these details with our
lace,
for the benefit of future  generations.
Subject: [lace] Bayeux Tapestry in  needlelace