I will be interested to hear any feedback on these attempts.

My suspicion is that a lady sitting on a park bench tatting,  crocheting,
knitting or doing needle lace, which is held in the hand is  tolerated, but a
lady setting up a table will not be. The table is sort of a  "structure".

I imagine is an informal point system also, with  consideration for the
amount of gray hair you have, how unthreatening you are,  whether you look like
you are selling something, how much you impede foot  traffic, whether you
know the cop, librarian, etc.

However my husband disputes my "structure" theory, claiming  that people
take easels into parks to paint all the time. He thinks the library  is the
harder venue. I am inclined to think the park the more dicey one. Both  places
probably have a lot of arcane rules intended to keep vagrants out that
might have to be invoked against lacemakers in order to maintain the illusion
of  impartiality.

On cruise ships and hotels, you are actually paying for the  "public"
spaces you are occupying. Is there a distinction?

Devon