Dear Alex et al,

Precisely. It could be an 'in' at schools. I have not had any close connection with school children for over 10 years, but girls especially are not inclined to math. Presenting lacemaking, especially bobbin lacemaking as a way to develop spatial thinking, (physics?) or patterns, or algorithms through the visual manipulation of bobbins, using thread, the traditional (though not unique) province of the female could be a powerful way to introduce lacemaking into the schools, or at least get them to allow a poster advertising classes. And for those of you with children looking for masters or doctoral theses, this would be a good place. I am a wiz with math without numbers, but my last math class was 46 years ago, and while I use math, I am not familiar with the terms.

What are the fancy math terms that could be used to show this is a craft with skills useful to the the core curriculum of schools? A means to possible entice reluctant girls to develop the skills needed in math and some of the sciences?

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where the weather continues hot, humid, and air conditioning is a blessing.

Lyn wrote:
Teaching lace to children is part of the survival of lacemaking.  I have
always thought that lacemaking, especially geometric Torchon, has the ability
to help the mind work mathematically......
Alex wrote:
I am sure you are right. The best lacemakers are computer programmers, maths
graduates and architects and anything that develops judgement of space and
line is bound to help.