Hi Gabriele & Karen

Thank you for the references. The last decade of the 18th century into the
first quarter of the 19th century seems to cover the time when the different
point laces became into existence, unless anyone has any other information..

A version of point de racroc was used to join strips of Mechlin, which
predates Bucks, so that would not affect the Bucks point date unless there is
a diagram accompanying the reference as the procedure is slightly different
for the two laces.

The Danish references fit well with the general pattern we are seeing. As
Mechlin had been extensively made in Denmark prior to Tonder lace being made
their lace workers would have adjusted to the new ground easily as  our lace
workers in England.

I do not have the book by Jackson but 1582 sounds way out. Books are not
always 100% correct and many authors quote from others that may have been
inaccurate. (Try writing one.)

The changes in the fashion also fit into the general pattern of dates.

My thanks to all who have contributed

Alex

P.S. My view of the position of the footside is that it was someone who
brought the lace over to England and forgot which way up to pin her pricking
to the  pillow. I do not think we will ever have an answer to this question.