Lori
An interesting question. But very difficult to do. The reason is that we
have very few certainties, and the evidence must be evaluated. The only hard
evidence we have is the laces themselves, and portraits painted of
individuals whose life dates are known, by an artist whose life dates are
known.  From this we can construct a tentative timeline of how the fashion
changed, and how the shapes of collars and headdresses resulted in surviving
laces having those shapes. A caveat here is that late in time, fragments of
early laces may be cobbled together into shapes fashionable at the date the
cobbling was done. I have started collecting photos of paintings in an
effort to start this kind of reference online.
https://www.pinterest.com/lynxlacelady/boards/   Go down about 3/4 through
my boards, and that is where the set of photos are, tentatively divided by
time.

While we can't rely on the portraits to exactly reproduce the lace, we can
get a general idea of spiky or dense, the shapes of the edge (deeply
scalloped or nearly straight), floral or geometric.

We cannot rely on most books published before the mid 20th century. We have
to judge whether the writer is a scholar/historian or someone with no
training in how to interpret evidence.  Here is a chart I made some years
ago to try and pin down how influences from one area and era affected
subsequent laces. It looks like sphagetti, or what a cat does to a ball of
string.
http://api.ning.com/files/mTj-BQWRfI3gvX7wkBtthdP5oGSdVjTosLQkjNKXSBuO4arckV
iVm8-BkRQrCYqOq3hveHQ917MdeTcxXWyUuHfGaaO*gvBs/lacehist2.jpg

Santina Levey identified another possible kind of source to help with
dating. Weavers of high quality, high fashion brocades and velvets sometimes
produced sample books showing the kind of work they could to. If a design in
the pattern book is strongly similar to the design of a particular lace, it
may be reasonable to assume that one was copying the other (in either
direction) to produce laces or fabrics in the current fashion.  But you
would have to go to museums which might have such sample books in their
collections.

One clear time boundary for embroidery on net, or for bobbin part laces
appliqued onto clear net, is the date that the net making machines were
built. But even that date doesn't give us absolute certainties because the
first date a machine capable of the job is built does not mean that the net
was widely available and reliably available. You only set up a workshop when
you know you can get the background net in sufficient quantity all the time.
The latter date is the important one, and it is not absolutely clear.

Thread used is another possible, but we had a discussion on laceioli about
this issue, and it turns out to be problematic. Cotton was mixed with linen
long before purely cotton threads were reliably available.
http://laceioli.ning.com/group/identification-history/forum/topics/general-p
rinciples

The only way you can get an understanding of the timeline is to view as many
laces as possible (photos, if close up enough, do help a great deal), study
as many portraits as possible (with dates attached).

Studying this question is endlessly fascinating. I know for certain that I
will not get to the end of it in my lifetime.

I spent 6 years in graduate school studying medieval history, so I
understand how historians think and how they use evidence. I also understand
how evidence can be misused. Of course, then I was dealing with written
documents. Lace history uses a different kind of evidence, but the
principles are the same.
Lorelei Halley