Dear Devon,

Surely, you have the two books about Ipswich Lace, by Raffel and by Thompson?

Many people relocated to Maine after the American Revolution, because land was
available for cultivation and their's was an agrarian society.  Colonial era
families needed a lot of land to support them.  In addition to wood lots for
building / heating / cooking, land was cleared of large rocks and tree stumps
for pastures / edible crops.  Some early communities decreed that every
family raise flax and sheep, so they could be clothed in linen and wool.
 Cotton threads came into widespread use later.

Mrs. Elizabeth Lord Lakeman (1767-1861) was not the only lace maker from
Ipswich to relocate to Maine.  She had many children (by our standards), and
we might imagine her girls also made lace.  Her lace-making mother, Elizabeth
Lord, relocated to Maine before Lakeman did (documented in Marta Cotterell
Raffel's book).  There were other lace makers in this family - see pg. 90.
 Lakeman's great grand-daughters sent family and lace documentation to The
Smithsonian along with Lakeman's lace equipment.   People's diaries have been
studied, inscriptions on old cemetery stones have been recorded, and much
information is available in Maine libraries and historical societies  - in
old books and manuscripts.  If you find this period interesting, I recommend
the books of historian Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, especially A Midwife's Tale -
which took place in Hallowell   This is about Martha Ballard, who delivered
999 babies in the Hallowell area (1735-1812).  She delivered at least two of
Lakeman's sons.  There is also a DVD available, if you search the book
title.

My pillow resembles the pillow on the book cover of Marta Cotterell Raffel's -
Laces of Ipswich - and on pg.  91.
In Karen Thompson's - Old Lace Samples, photo is on pg. 9.  No documentation
came with my pillow, which Lori (Lace Fairy) found in Hallowell and sold to
me.  She was a Mormon and volunteered a lot of time tracing family
genealogies for new members of her church.  The Latter Day Saints church has
the most comprehensive genealogy data base - of its kind - in the world.
 Lori went to old sections of local burial grounds to verify what was carved
on stones.  She also researched the old embroidered samplers in my collection
- very successfully - from just a girl's name and a date.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
In a message dated 12/9/2017 3:42:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,