I would not agree to the half of your statments.

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 16:46, Mihai Vlad wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I have several questions:
>
> Let's take a real case example...
> A connection of 256kbit split among some clients (8kbit RATE,
1500 QUANTUM
> - set manually).
> I use esfq to split the bandwidth as fair as possible.
>
> Q1. What happens if the SUM of all the clients' class RATE (+
the
> default class RATE) is smaller than 256kbit? Will HTB work
correctly?
Yes.
-----
this is correct

> Q2. What happens if the SUM of all the clients' class RATE (+
the
> default class RATE) is bigger than 256kbit? Will HTB work
correctly?
Yes.
--------
This is incorrect:
of course it will work more or less, but nearly same as without any shaping

> Q3. What happens if the ISP does not guarantee a '"'full
256kbit'"'
> bandwidth?
> (Suppose that I set my Linux box to shape 256kbit and my ISP
provides me
> only 128kbit during high-traffic hours). Will HTB work
correctly?
Yes.
-----
For certain this is wrong, I dont understand why you say so, because
everybody knows that you must limit ceil to a bit lover than you get from
isp
if you have unknown trafic you cant limit it.

> Q4. As far as I understood R2Q means the ratio between the RATE
and the
> QUANTUM of a class... Which is more '"'powerful'"'? The
RATE, or the QUANTUM?
> (e.g. ClassA---QUANTUM 3000---RATE 8kbit, or
> ClassB---QUANTUM 1500---RATE 16kbit)
r2q is used to calculate the default quantum of a class: quantum =ate / r2q
But you can overrule this default quantum when you add a class.
------
quantum is more powerfull and usefull. since rate of 8kbit is insignificant
speed anyway
but it may be harder to calculate( didt tested if quantum can completely
replace rate effect)
in your example class A will get 2 times more bandwitch than class B

> Q5. The HTB Manual says that the sum of the LEAF CLASSES RATE
must be
> equal to the PARENT CLASS RATE. Is there such a rule for
QUANTUMS?
No
----
seems correct,
htb manual says nonsense,
neither rates nether quantums need to be equal,
but child sum rates and quantums ONLY SHOULD be less or equal to parent.
quantums for schild basicaly should be not higer than parent quantums, else
result may be starange.

this indirectly may affect the statment from htb manual, because rate affect
quantums.
and if one child will consume all its parent quantum then other childs may
get nothing.

Stef

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]