----- Original Message -----
From: "Mihai Vlad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 9:55 AM
Subject: RE: [LARTC] R2Q and more

Thanks for your answers!

I played with some values and I might add something. Please tell me if I am
wrong.

Overruling the QUANTUM parameter in a LEAF class makes the RATE parameter
useless. From my opinion QUANTUM is the parameter that is the most relevant.

e.g. CLASS A - RATE 64kbit - QUANTUM 1500
CLASS B - RATE  8kbit - QUANTUM 3000

Class B gets twice the bandwidth that CLASS A receives. RATE is useless in
this case.

So you might establish some sort of a rule that the ratio of QUANTUMS equals
the ratio of the (real) RATEs of 2 LEAF CLASSES. BUT that is also wrong if
the ratio is bigger that 2-3.

e.g. CLASS A QUANTUM 1500
CLASS B QUANTUM 6000

You would expect CLASS B to get 4 times the bandwidth that CLASS A gets. But
in fact ... the Ratio is somewhere around 2.8-3.0. (These tests were made on
a 256 kilobit bandwidth).

I did not tested  this so precisely, but sounds strange that ratio is
limited to 3.

I agree that it is very important to set the RATE of the parent CLASS below
the value of the bandwidth. In my case - for a 256kbit bandwidth from my
ISP, 240kbit RATE works excellent

Mostly you must set ceil, to 240 , of course for root, rate=ceil anyway.

There is still a problem remained unsolved for me.
(My connection works excellent after 6.00 PM until 10.00 AM. During the day
my ISP establishes some '"'rules'"' in which the connection is shared among
some
clients.) You cannot tell the exact value of the bandwidth during the day.
It is very bursty. You might download with 240kbit for 1 minute and after
that the bandwidth might get to 64kbit, etc...

So I do not have a '"'standard'"' connection. Is it possible to split that
'"'bursty'"' bandwidth (as unpredictable as it is) among my friends in my
LAN?
I use esfq. Is there a way that HTB can auto-sense the parameters of the
bandwidth and reconfigure itself? I know that sounds real funny, but for me
it would be a dream to have such a traffic shaper. I do not have enough
money to buy a straight 256kbit connection :(

htb cant sense anything, I made some atempts to do something about that, but
results are not very good.
without limiting trafic to 90% of your maximum it is not possible to do
anything.
because of the way how all network works.
so you need to measure your link capacity somehow.
also it would ne nice to know the rules that your isp use to divide trafic

I am working on such software which will mesure trafic and queue length at
your isp according to ping times.
( I recently bought 2 times more trafic, and now do not need it so much as
before
Now I mostly care about latency, I need to make ping lower that 200ms at all
times even under full load)
I did not made it available for public right now, because it is only start
of developnemt

Unfortunately this consumes some trafic and responds slowly, but looks
better that nothing.

If you have very low speed, the you will need to do very carefull traffic
prioritization.
As I noticed it is realy hard to control speed of about 1kbyte/s  which is
nearly equal to quantum per sek

also I wrote alternative tc tutorial, which you can find on my page
http://pupa.da.ru/imq/