> > Q2. What happens if the SUM of all the clients' class RATE
(+
> the
> > default class RATE) is bigger than 256kbit? Will HTB
work
> correctly?
> Yes.
> --------
> This is incorrect:
> of course it will work more or less, but nearly same as without
any shaping
It will work more then you think.  On the short term, traffic can be bursty
for the different classes, but each one will belimited to 8kbit.  But on the
long term, each class will get the same share of bandwidth.
------
basicaly this may work if difference is not big,
but it was not working for me, I was trying to set rate 8kbit for everyone,
since the sum of rates was 3 times biger than parent ceil, trafic was
divided in unpredictable way.
then  I set rate to 1 kbit and everything worked well filling syslog by
warnings that quantum is too small.

logicaly this should not work because htb guarantee the rate amount trafic,
so what if there is not so much available?

> > Q5. The HTB Manual says that the sum of the LEAF CLASSES
RATE
> must be
> > equal to the PARENT CLASS RATE. Is there such a rule
for
> QUANTUMS?
> No
> ----
> seems correct,
> htb manual says nonsense,
> neither rates nether quantums need to be equal,
> but child sum rates and quantums ONLY SHOULD be less or equal
to parent.
> quantums for schild basicaly should be not higer than parent
quantums, else
> result may be starange.
I'm not sure but, isn't quanum only used for leaf classes?  So the quantum
of
parent classes doesn't mather ?
---------
You may be right, since I did not checked source code for this, but logicaly
quantum is very significant part
and shoud work everywhere, I suppose quantum is about same as cburst, but
even more significant,
sems  it is only way to divide bandwitch between classes with some
proportion.
I found strange limitation, if class have leafs, then I cant attach sfq to
it.
where will go unclasified packets from that class? Into root's default?
Now I use dummy class for this purpose with filter which match on anything
Strange that htb have such limitation.

Stef