Am Sunday 17 October 2004 14:42 schrieb James Lista:
> 600kbit ------------   50% for port 80
>                        30% for port 25 and 110
>                        20% for the rest

Sure, that's possible. That's one 600kbit class with three child classes.

However, there may be many other ports besides 25, 80, and 110 that deserve
prioritizing. Throwing them in the same class as all filesharing traffic
could make things even worse than before.

Then there's the problem that many filesharing protocols can work on any
port, so your users could just move to one of the prioritized ports and
take all the bandwidth again.

That's some of the reasons why I never bothered with prioritizing ports on
a global basis. Consider using ipp2p or l7-filter for a more reliable way
for detecting P2P traffic.

No matter how you look at it, 600kbit for 20 users is a bit slow. Even
without P2P traffic, if all of them surf the web at the same time, they
won't be very happy with the speed.

Besides traffic shaping, you should do anything possible to reduce load.
Cache DNS queries, provide a HTTP proxy, probably squid. Make sure that
you can't be flooded from the outside. Stuff like that.

HTH
Andreas