On Tue, 4 Feb 2014, Reimar Grabowski wrote:

On Tue, 4 Feb 2014 14:40:21 +0100 (CET)
Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org> wrote:

The GUI is for use by humans. That means that there is no point whatsoever
in updating the GUI more than 10 times per second: the human eye cannot
process information faster than that, let alone that the brain can grasp
the *meaning* of what the eye has seen in such a short time.
<snip>

if I play a video at full HD, 1 thread handles the screen display. It works
just fine,

Combining these two statements sounds like you are running your video at 10
frames per second, which you hopefully don't do.

No, obviously not.

And I am very interested where you got the limitations for the human eye from.
Knowing a thing or two about animation I have heard quite different values.

Traditional Film uses 24 FPS, this was considered twice the speed of what was/is needed to experience motion 'fluently'.

The human eye can *discern* changes at faster rates, meaning it will
recognize the difference between a film played at 30 and 60, the latter being perceived as more 'smooth'.

But this does not enable you to process the *information* displayed at such a
speed.

using a practical example:
Let me display random numbers at speed > 10 FPS on screen. Will you be able to repeat the numbers ? I doubt it.

You may want to watch "Fight Club", where this is demonstrated in a cinema ;)

Michael.