Mattias Gaertner wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 19:46:11 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markmll.laza...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

The good news is that it builds with FPC 3.0.0 on:

PPC Linux, Debian "Lenny"
Raspbian "Jessie" on RPi2
SPARC OpenSXCE 2014 (approx. Solaris 11)
SPARC Linux, Debian "Squeeze"
x86 linux, Debian "Lenny" and "Jessie"
x86_64 linux, Debian "Jessie"

Impressive. :)

Thanks, I try to exercise things on a fairly regular basis. Help probably won't work on SPARC and PPC Linux due to issue 22696 (FPC), and there might be one unit excluded from Solaris which would be useful... I'll check this.

[...]
An annoyance affecting all platforms above is that the timeout in the "Configure Lazarus IDE" -> "Compiler" box is impossibly fast, if the default isn't right about the only way to use it is to paste a prepared name.

What timeout?

After the compiler name has been changed by the addition or removal of a single character, it goes and checks whether the filename is now valid. The timeout here is something like 10th sec, and displays a dialogue if the name is bad. The FPC sources etc. fields are OK, but this one will cause problems for anybody trying to use multiple compilers by specifying e.g. ppcppc-3.0.0 rather than just fpc (there's nowhere to put in a -V option which could be picked up by fpc).

I noticed that one a few months ago but assumed somebody else was aware: I know, there's no need to tell me.

Slightly more serious from my POV is that a project that created a form early to set up a configuration file from a template is now giving problems on all tested platforms. I'm assuming that http://free-pascal-lazarus.989080.n3.nabble.com/Lazarus-A-change-in-LCL-require-your-TCustomForm-descendants-to-have-a-resource-or-to-use-a-CreateNer-td2402646.html is relevant, but at present am struggling.

This is a pretty old change.

Yes, but has only now become mandatory.

Simply use CreateNew instead of Create.

I haven't had any success with that yet, but started from a position of suspecting that the problems I was seeing were platform-specific, it was quite a while before I found that some systems worked because they already had the configuration file that was being created.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk