a legal entity, you may be giving a focus point for litigation.  That was
more of a devil's advocate point of view and not necessarily my own.  I
think that overall, a foundation would be good.. as it has been for Blender
( www.blender.org .

I think that your example below is not a very good one for this case.  BMW
is a globally known name such as Pepsi or IBM that could be successfully
litigated under trademark dilution. Based on googling "lazarus", I would
conclude that no one company or product could bring any type of dilution
proceedings against us.

If there is not a dilution case, it falls back to the original intent of
trademarks, consumer protection.. are we trying to deceive users into
believing that they are receiving another, trademarked product?  If not, the
whole compensation portion goes away.  You are still left with the
possibility of a cease and desist type situation, but by having the
foundation named in a more generic fashion ( Open and Portable Software
Development Foundation ), you could cross that bridge (change the name of
lazarus) if it ever became a real problem.

Matt