Ciprian Mustiata wrote:

The issue I want to put on top is Lazarus resemble with 10 years old UIs, FreePascal the same, and they don't want to add value for the product is today most needed. I've not means about Lazarus bugs, all software has bugs. So, the eexpectations for a new user, (I put me in that use-case) is to get for first time a wizard to understand what to do with Lazarus, secondly the UI should be innovative, probably the best in market, to be consistent UI-wise, to give me tools and as much I've don't need to be hidden, by my choose or choosing a profile.

That's asking a lot, IMO. These are all volunteers working here and they've done a pretty smashing job, if you ask me. I know lazarus takes a bit to get familiar with, but it really is a very nice IDE, IMO. Sure, its no Delphi2007, but I would guess that if the core developers had 10% of the money for R&D that CodeGear has (.00005% for M$ ;)), Lazarus would be a lot more "moochy" as I like to say.

Are there things that I'd like to see in Lazarus such as a c# style autocompletion?, sure I would. But I don't have the time to contribute things like that myself so I am perfectly fine enjoying Lazarus as is. To me, Lazarus provides something very important: value. With only slight inconveniences from Delphi, etc, Lazarus provides a pretty damn productive environment for building true cross platform applications and the support community is excellent.

To me what is most promising is that among component/framework vendors for Delphi, there seems to be more and more providing support for freepascal/lazarus. To me, that indicates a good solid compatibility with Delphi and a maturity in the Lazarus product itself.

Identity of Lazarus will make people to not think in Lazarus as the worse twin of Delphi. Lazarus has to be best in what it does: it must be simple to add a component, or to write a dll, it MUST provide a simple Wizard, even seems a foolish from many view, that will make to be used in schools, it must have less annoying bugs, that should be the BLOCKERS, not one bug in one toolkit. Lazarus have to implement it's own dialogs using not TForm with strict UI rules, they have to implement all dialogs from a TIDEForm, so managing the docking, etc. in future by that inheritance.

I agree that it would be nice to see lazarus as an IDE comparable to Delphi/VS.net, but it really does do most of the stuff those IDE's do, IMO. A C# style autocompletion option for always be nice since I'm a lazy coder ;)

Based on that issues, and some more, me and that designer will not look back to Delphi legacy, excluding the LCL and we will try to manage to make a fork of Lazarus. The role of that fork is very easy: it will must provide bet UI for user, and will not take care about users that say: "in Delphi is different", because Lazarus is not Delphi, is much better. That fork will be maintained to an external server, like OpenSVN one and hopefully when will get enough substange to get it's own merit as an upgrade to Lazarus, hopefully will be merged back to Lazarus code.

I don't know. I agree with other responder in that the time would be better spent on lazarus proper. The project can always use more talented contributors and you wouldn't have to fork the code.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee

"My wife is better at Guitar Hero than I am and it's really irritating."