Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:
On 13/12/2007, Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Delphi relied on Windows buggy behavior of sending frequent useless
messages around to wake up the main thread frequently.

That does sound weird.

It is, but it's Microsoft's approach.
Just compare what happens on a network connection using Unix's nfs with one using Microsoft's netbios or smb or whatever they call it now. On nfs if there are no client requests, there's no activity. You may disconnect your ethernet cable, and connect it again when you need to access a remote server, and it will just work fine. On smb, there's a a lot of activity (all packets set to high priority, just to annoy the network) asking silly things to all connected clients and servers, which generate a lot of network errors, invisible to users, but reported in the log, if you have a Linux box.

Idle, so that the OnIdle handler is never called. My kludge has been to
have the Timer update a Label in a hidden corner of the screen, with a

So if the corner of the screen is hidden, how does that look?  What's
there, a black hole. ;-) I'm just teasing!

Pretty much yes. A small black hole. :-) Actually it's visible, otherwise the kludge wouldn't work, But it's a black character on a dark background so it goes unnoticed!

must be drawn and what not, etc.), and passes that to a graphic thread
which is the only one which has access to the display, then you have a
real multithread GUI, which could fill a void in what's currently available.
It could be a challenging project, don't you think?

Challenging to say the least, but sounds interesting!

Well, I've thrown the stone in the pond. I'll try to investigate further on what could be done. I don't like to start too big projects without knowing where one will end, but if it turns out that it's possible to set up a feasibility test with minimal functionalities then one could give a thought on doing real work.

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong (O. Wilde)