I hope that you still consider setting it up only available to localhost.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dan Hanks
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:51 PM
To: LDS Open Source Software
Subject: Re: [Ldsoss] Scout Tracking

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Thomas Haws wrote:
>> This is very intriguing.  Can you point to an example we might
>> install and try?
>
> I hope someone else knows of an example.  Conceptually, it's simple,
> and I can see the solution from start to finish.  But I'm surprised it
> hasn't been done very often.  Maybe we need a proof of concept.

There's a Perl module called Net::Server
(http://search.cpan.org/~rhandom/Net-Server-0.93/lib/Net/Server.pm) that
could be used to easily implment a simple HTTP server for use with something
like this. Another such module would be HTTP::Daemon
(http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.805/lib/HTTP/Daemon.pm).

The installer could be smart enough to ask if this is a desktop/standalone
install (and use the Perl module or whatever other lightweight httpd is
included with the package) or a server install (in which case it would use
the Apache or whatever is running on the server.

-- Dan