Installability and easy updates. And easy synchronizing ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven H. McCown
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:54 PM
To: 'LDS Open Source Software'
Subject: RE: [Ldsoss] Scout Tracking

Other thoughts:

Whatever language is used for this or any general app needs to consider the
end user.  The general end user is not a power sys admin, but someone who
installs out of the box, uses only the defaults, and never updates.  If Perl
or Ruby or what ever is used is installed on the user's box, then the Scout
app needs to keep those up to date on patches and security fixes.  To
require the user to update Perl or Python is unreasonable and to not keep it
up to date is not responsible.

Most users are not perpetually WiFi connected, but still use the Internet at
home.  Most of the church buildings do not have WiFi.  That's why a web app
would require 2 sets of record keeping -- for most users.

I went to church in SLC and most of the male members had PDAs instead of
scriptures in books.  It's the opposite in most other places that I've been.
We're discussing what *we* (computer scientists, sys admins, etc.) would
like.  What would the average user like?

Steve