Jesse Stay wrote:
This is actually what concerns me about my daughter's school.  She's a
first grader and they want to post her and her classmates' (w/ naive
parents permission, of course) pictures and names along with progress
info on a website, no login or anything to protect that info.  It
scares me that any weirdo out there can then view my daughter's
picture, know her name, and what school she goes to.  I think we are
often not careful enough about what we allow others to display on the
web.

If it were behind a password-protected site, then maybe it would be
another thing.  Sorry - just ranting about a recent frustration with
the schools here in Utah.

The school district here in Texas sends a letter out with the student ID number (used for the login name) and a randomly generated password. Everything is password protected. There are no pictures of students or even their name on the web site. Just their student ID number. Someone actually thought about this it seems or, maybe, they actually read some of the emails I sent. :)

FYI, in case everyone didn't see this on slashdot... Ross Anderson's excellent security engineering book is now on-line: See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/book.html

or download the entire thing at:

http://rapidshare.de/files/31139575/security_engineering.pdf.html
http://www.filewire.com/download.php?id=5ead2cad1c6cb101e336dc0