<x-flowed>At 01:57 PM 1/29/01 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>The overall document covers most things and is pretty good;
>however, I would like to shift an underlying focus implicit in your
>document.  Best way to show the changes is to redo the first two
>paragraphs:

>LEAF Project
>The LEAF project is a place where developers of derivatives of the
>Linux Router Project (LRP) can get together, share ideas, and in
>general maintain some compatability between their distributions.
>This project aims to assist LRP derivative developers, to release
>LRP-derivative distributions, and otherwise help developers in
>whatever way possible.
>
>LEAF Releases
>LEAF Releases are distributions that originated as spinoffs of the
>Linux Router Project (LRP).  The original purpose of current LEAF
>versions was for firewalling and routing; some have been expanded
>far beyond that to serve other uses, including system rescue or
>network diagnostics.
>
>[....cut!...]
>
>As you may notice, these documents are NOT "distribution-
>neutral" but are specific towards LRP-derivatives.  I don't know
>whether this is a bad thing or not, but this sort of states what I
>always thought LEAF was.... maybe I just need better education?

David,
I like your suggestions above, and I'll try to incorporate them into the
next draft. They describe the current situation well, but I don't think
this will always be the case. I believe we want to allow the use of other
embedded Linux distributions as bases for LEAF releases.

Reasons to allow other embedded Linux distributions as a base:
Some distributions already have kernel 2.4 support, and use newer
libraries. Also, some of them are significantly smaller than LRP, and allow
a single source to target multiple processor architectures.

I just want us to be as flexible as possible. :)

BTW, has anyone seen Butterfly yet, or the new Zope web site discussed a
while ago on lrp-website-admin? Do we know what the name for the Butterfly
distribution is going to be?

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/