<x-flowed>Everyone,
This is a first very rough draft of a long description for our project home
page. It needs a lot of work. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

------------------- First Rough Draft ------------------------
LEAF Project
Is a place for current developers of the Linux Router Project to publish
their content, and continue development. It's also a place to create new
images and packages based various embedded Linux distributions. A list of
embedded Linux distributions is available from:

   Embedded Linux Distributions Quick Reference Guide

LEAF Releases
Are easy to use embedded Linux network appliance applications for use in
office, home, and gaming environments. Although they can be used in many
other ways, they're primarily used as a gateway/router/firewall for private
LANs connected to the Internet. The target device for installation is
usually a floppy, but many other devices are supported. The recommended
minimum hardware requirements are listed here:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=1398&group_id=13751

Current Releases
   EigerStein:  Charles Steinkuehler is the lead developer for this
   release. EigerStein uses the Eiger embedded Linux distribution as a
   foundation. It is easy to use, and it will automatically configure
   machines on your internal network. It also provides a local DNS
   cache, which reduces your reliance on your ISP's server and can
   speed up Internet access

   Oxygen:  David Douthitt is the lead developer for this release.
   Oxygen uses the LRP 2.9.7 embedded Linux distribution as a
   foundation. It features: current up-to-date utilities, a new
   sophisticated package handling system, new booting options, and
   simplicity of configuration.

Project Goals
Create an inclusive environment for current developers of the Linux Router
Project to release their modifications to the public. Support continued
development of Linux Router Project derived LEAF images and packages.
Create a new LEAF version based on an embedded Linux distribution with 2.4
kernel support, while retaining the option to install the target
environment on a floppy attached to the target.

Architectural Goals
Improve ease of use, simplify development environment, use single source to
target multiple processors, drop in support of firewall script projects,
use of various embedded Linux distributions for release base, etc.

History
This project started in response to a perceived change in direction of the
Linux Router Project (see a description of Butterfly). We wished to
continue creating Router/Firewall/Gateway images, so we started this
project. We had three other goals in mind. The first was to gather the
scattered LRP content in a central location. Second we wished to make use
of SourceForge services to allow developers to coordinate their efforts.
The third was the creation of Linux kernel 2.4 based images.

LRP Developer Support
The LEAF project provides current developers of the Linux Router Project a
central site to publish their content. To facilitate the gathering of LRP
content on the LEAF site, each developer is provided with space to publish
individual content. While we encourage integration of this information into
the LEAF site, it's by no means required. Content published by developers
can be found here:
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/developer.php

Comparison between LRP, Butterfly, and LEAF releases.

Embedded Linux Taxonomy (from Embedded Linux Journal)

1 Embedded Linux Development Help
   1.1 Information
   1.2 Hardware+Software
   1.3 Services
   1.4 Software
     1.4.1 Special Distribution
       1.4.1.1 Smaller Versions of Standard Software
       1.4.1.2 Drivers
       1.4.1.3 Special Embedded Applications
       1.4.1.4 Patched Kernel
         1.4.1.4.1 Improve Performance
         1.4.1.4.2 Fix Bugs
         1.4.1.4.3 Reduce Size
         1.4.1.4.4 Device Driver
   1.5 Hardware

LRP/Butterfly Embedded Distribution
   1.4.1.1 packages .lrp
   1.4.1.3 images LRP
   1.4.1.4.1 Butterfly
   1.4.1.4.3 LRP & Butterfly

Note: this is just my understanding of what LRP and Butterfly are. I'm
unsure if Dave Cinege will create target applications for Butterfly, or
just provide an embedded distribution that allows developers to create
target applications. The LEAF project releases are targeted at 1.4.1.3, and
1.4.1.1, and we're embedded distribution neutral.

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/