On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Ewald Wasscher wrote:

> >     Perhaps a way to think about it is from the point of view
> > of the newcomer.
>
> I think we really should.

Agreed. This, however, is more a function of marketing than the
engineering behind it. Easy enough to do, once we have that base system
laid out.

> Excellent idea! If we don't most windows users are IMHO more likely to
> buy another harddisk and put Win98SE on it and use it's Internet
> Connection Sharing. So we really should make it as easy as possible for
> them.

I actually disagree with this, but only insofar as they're more likely to
just use one of the workstations with it already installed as the ICS
system, or (even more likely IMHO) just go out and buy the Linksys or
Netgear Cable/DSL routers. The basic premise is sound, so I'll stop
nitpicking the details now. =)

> >> Any thoughts or ideas? I'm thinking that trimming the fat off of this
> >> stuff, combined with UPX, might be enough for us to go glibc 2.1.x or
> >> even 2.2.x for base router images.
> >
> UPX probably will save very little space, if any, on the bootdisk if you
> use it for binaries as the lrp packages are already gzip compressed.

Actually, he was probably referring to the kernel. Where I've been
consistently getting between 60 and 70 KBytes shaved off of the
exceptionally large 2.4.3 kernel. This is where UPX shines, overall, for
our purposes. If we weren't already compressing everything, UPX would be a
lot more useful to us. (Not that *I* am really complaining. =)

--
George Metz
Commercial Routing Engineer

"We know what deterrence was with 'mutually assured destruction' during
the Cold War. But what is deterrence in information warfare?" -- Brigadier
General Douglas Richardson, USAF, Commander - Space Warfare Center