On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, David Douthitt wrote:

> When I first compiled kernels for LRP, I used the EigerStein kernel as
> my base.  I later found that by NOT compiling modules, I could save
> space.... let me explain.

Okay. Not that I can stop you in an e-mail. =)

> If there is an item in the kernel configuration which is undesired,
> but generates only modules: it still takes up space even though all of
> the underlying items are modules.  By removing the support altogether,
> a great deal of space can be regained.  QoS comes to mind, and Linux
> Telephony.

And a few dozen other things as well.

> If you leave in QoS support, even though everything is modules, it
> still takes up space.  If you disable QoS support, you gain a lot of
> space.  You can always shift kernels around and make multiple
> configurations.

And suddenly, the lightbulb comes on, and he knows where that other 30-50k
of freed space came from. I didn't bother to compile QoS support. At all.
That would explain why the kernel is so small now... must tweak more
stuff.

> Anyway, the best thing for a router would be to create your own kernel
> and remove kernel module support altogether - no more attacks from
> things like knark.o....

That's a wee bit hard in an easy-to-use distributable floppy-based system
that has no way to compile stuff, but I take your meaning. =)

George Metz
Commercial Routing Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We know what deterrence was with 'mutually assured destruction' during
the Cold War. But what is deterrence in information warfare?" -- Brigadier
General Douglas Richardson, USAF, Commander - Space Warfare Center