Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, guitarlynn wrote:

[snippety snip]

> The reason I bit was that in theory this should not work.
>
> The write signal is used to convey information to registers in the device
> that select which data to retrieve from the IDE device.  Thus, a write
> protect signal on the device that acts between the registers and the
> storage medium is required, and Mike Noyes' find really is significant.

The whole question of write-protecting a hard drive is a moot
point if you people would just use scsi equipment.  The jumper
for write-protect is clearly marked, and even the non-technical
people could connect switch leads to the pins, given the correct
mini-jumper connector.  I suggest dusting off your old Mouser
catalog and putting it to some good use :)

I got so many of those old scsi drives that I'd love to boot from,
then power down, because I don't need the indoor chainsaw :)
Personally, I prefer secure network loading of packages off my
fileserver.

And why don't you people use cdrw?  Rewriters are like $50 for
a bottom of the line, no-name, ide burner.  Who's compiling
cdrecord.lrp?

Regards,
Matt