From: Jon Clausen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 9:57 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Leaf-devel] Hi there, and (bug?) report

Hi everyone

I must say I was quite flattered to be invited to join ;) I don't see
myself as much of a capacity, being the relative newbie and all, but
hey, if I can help out in any way, I'll be glad to...

Quick rundown:
My name is Jon Clausen, I'm 36 and have been using linux (SuSE mostly)
for some three years now. I've been using LRP/LEAF for little over a
year.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be able to help with in this group, but I
guess we're about to find out :)

Some of you might remember me from leaf-user, in such threads as 'How do
I access the weblet from outside' and more recently my 'blinder'
project.

I think that small write-ups, like the one about the weblet, is probably
a pretty good sample of what I might help out with. Which brings me to
the second item on the agenda for this mail:

I've now gotten to the point where my blinder software is working, and
the stuff is in the right locations in the filesystem. And I have
managed to make a blinder.lrp out of it. I did have *some* trouble
making the package, though.

Following the 'how do I create an lrp-package', everything went well,
until steps 5/6.

step5: Edit /var/lib/lrpkg/packages, to trick the backup system into
believing that the package is already installed

step6: Go to the backup menu. And I quote
"If you don't have a backup option for your package, you didn't do step
5 correctly."

checked, doublebechecked, rechecked, no joy. Tried remoing some of the
other package names from .../packages, no change in the backup menu...

I then tried renaming .../packages to something else, and *no*
change in the backup menu(?!)
So I started looking through the scripts, and found that what is
actually checked by lrcfg.back, in the sub SetPkg() is
/var/lib/lrpkg/backdisk. So I put 'blinder=-t msdos...' at the end,
fired up lrcfg, and lo and behold, I had the option :)

So either something is weird on my host (bering 1.0rc2), there's a bug
in the backup scripts somewhere, or the documentation is not quite up to
par...

I haven't checked anything much, but I thought I might as well let you
all know what I found...

cheers,
Jon Clausen