On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:53:36PM -0700, Mike Noyes wrote:

> Nice job. :-)

Thank you!  I'm still learning.  Mail processing has been a weak point;
now that I've three of my own domains and am serving all of them on
one mailserver....  I think I've learned something along the way -
at least I hope so...

> I should have looked for the machine causing the lag also. I'm keeping
> this analysis as a template for future troubleshooting.

Thanks for the compliment!

The biggest thing that helped me was to convert to UTC - and to remember
things like:

1. Some U.S. (North American?) hosts don't report time in 24h format.
   So 01:15:01 -007 could be 08:15:01 UTC or it could be 20:15:01 UTC.

2. Sometimes the timezone is wrong but the time is right... or worse...

3. Don't forget that sometimes headers "lie" - that is, they are
   forged headers - but if you aren't looking at spam, they should
   be valid.

I'm trying to learn all I can about mail; need to be up to speed so
I can do it right.