On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 15:16, Michael D. Schleif wrote:

> Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > > [1] Should I have separate trees for different underlying versions of
> > > net-snmp?  For example, I committed net-snmp v4.2.4.  I am contemplating
> > > building and committing both v4.2.5 and the totally different
> > > distribution v5.x.  So, one line of thinking is like this:
> > >
> > >     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.4/netsnmp.lrp ...
> > >     devel/helices/net-snmp/v4.2.5/netsnmp.lrp ...
> > >     devel/helices/net-snmp/v5.0.2/netsnmp.lrp ...
> >
> > This seems quite the wrong direction.  CVS is supposed to manage
> > versioning completely independently of the directory structure.
>
> Yes, I agree.  However, I am dealing with somebody else's software and
> making it suitable for leaf.  Obviously, I can have several iterations
> of net-snmp v4.2.4 that address various leaf concerns.

Michael,
CVS retains all previous versions of a file in the repository. You can
specify a specific version for retrieval.

Example:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/leaf/bin/packages/glibc-2.0/dhclient.lrp

Download version 1.10
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/leaf/bin/packages/glibc-2.0/dhclient.lrp?rev=HEAD&content-type=application/octet-stream

Download version 1.1
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/leaf/bin/packages/glibc-2.0/dhclient.lrp?rev=1.1&content-type=application/octet-stream

> What happens when I decide that /usr/sbin/ntp_setup actually belongs
> /usr/bin/ntp_setup?  Or, /usr/sbin/ntp_setup becomes /usr/bin/setup_ntp?
>
> Clearly, cvs cannot know my intent, in this regard.  When committing a
> directory change, under this scenario, how should it be done?

If we had shell access to the repository, we would hand edit the
structure change. SF doesn't allow us shell access to the cvs server, so
we need to open SF support requests to make changes like this.

ref. CVS repository clean-up requests
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=1&atid=200001

> During commit, I am presented with an editor session, in which I am
> allowed to enter text.  I wonder whether or not this allowance should
> rather be a requirement?
>
> What is it that this commit blurb is intended to convey?  Is this
> intended to be an introduction to the package?  A simple statement of
> my/leaf or somebody else's version upgraded to whatever?
>
> What should I, joe-leaf-user, expect to find while perusing ViewCVS?

doc -- released documentation
bin/packages -- released packages sorted by library type/revision

    binary files for LEAF release/branch tree (write access controlled
    by lead developer)
        /bering
        /dachstein
        /oxygen
        /packetfilter
        /wisp-dist
        /wrp
src -- source code

> I worry, however, if every developer goes about creating some adhoc
> structure to their liking . . .

Think of the devel tree as individual repositories, and the doc, bin,
and src trees as community resources. Did that help?

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/