On Thu, 2002-07-11 at 07:06, Manfred Schuler wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I did _NOT_ at all want to criticize the staff at SF.
> I know about them only what I see on the list, so I'm
> not in a position to judge how they do their job.

Manfred,
I apologize for the tone of my last message. It was inappropriate.
Sorry.

> I think I didn't express clearly what I mean.
>
> It is meant as a principle when working on large projects:
>       _NEVER_ change anything that is correctly checked in
>
> I will give you an example of what I mean:
>
> In version 1.0 of package xxx you have 2 script files:
> scripta and scriptb
> One line in scripta is
>       source scriptb
>
> Later you decide scriptb is not a good name and you change the name
> to scriptc and the line in scripta to:
>       source scriptc
> The version 1.1 of the package xxx consists now of the files
> scripta and scriptc.
> Now you rename scriptb in your CVS tree to scriptc.
>
> A user who wants to checkout version 1.0 gets a problem because
> scripta requires scriptb, but someone who dosen't know about
> the rename, doesn't know where to get scriptb.
>
> Even when the label is moved with the files, you get
> scripta and scriptc on checkout, but the package won't work
> because of the wrong filename.
>
> You see, when you rename files in CVS, you get nonfunctional old
> versions.

Ah, now I see. :-)
I hadn't considered this sequence of actions. I believe interdependent
files that require movement/renaming are candidates for branches. Would
branching the sample above be an appropriate course of action?

--
Mike Noyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://sourceforge.net/users/mhnoyes/