On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 07:59:07AM +0200, Jacques Nilo wrote:
> We have three new pieces for the Bering documentation that will be released
> with rc4 coming out shortly.
>
> We would welcome proofreading, comments and suggestions before release.

Great stuff! I like the page about time in particular. That's something
I always wanted... ;)

I'll try to stay out of the content, more or less... So this is mostly
just proofreading. Comments inline:

> 1 chapter in the Bering installation guide:
> http://leaf.sf.net/devel/jnilo/bisystem.html

Proofreading:
10.3: "If you want to add an hard-disk..."
-> "If you want to add a hard-disk..."

10.9: "PLease refer to..."
-> "Please refer..."

Suggestion:
10.8: Maybe mention ssh along with smtp/nntp towards the end?

> 2 chapters in the Bering user's guide:
> http://leaf.sf.net/devel/jnilo/butime.html

13.1: "...Jeff Newmiller from which..."
-> "...from whom..."

13.9: "Miscellaneous"

g) maybe add some reason? Or just elaborate slightly more...?

h) Does backing up etc.lrp save stuff if one chooses to go with
ntpdate.lrp? (I guess not, but it ought to be a little clearer imho)

i) great ;)

> http://leaf.sf.net/devel/jnilo/bumail.html

14.1: "... a help..."

14.2:
<!> "If you want to send mail...:
ACCEPT          fw      net     25      tcp

...well, I might want to send it to an *internal* host ...(?)

14.3:
"After changing the cronjob is updated automatically."

Maybe it's just me, but some punctuation might be good:

"After changing, the cronjob is updated automatically."

-or even a small mention of *how* cron sees that something's changed
(that the timestamp on the directory is updated)

"You can edit the multicron file as above or (probably a better idea)
insert a new file with the syntax as before for each additional
purpose."

Might be better phrased as something like:

"To add jobs to be run, you can edit the multicron file. A better idea
might be to put them in (a) separate file(s) in /etc/cron.d/ (keeping
the syntax)"

...or something

Also this might be a good place to mention /var/spool/cron/crontabs/ -in
case somebody would like to run a userland cronjob. And if that gets
added, then a note on the fact that userland crontabs don't have the
"user" -field.

I know this is not supposed to be a new manpage, but having been through
a bunch of cron-related stuff recently, I think it would be great to
'spell it out' just a *little* more.

MHO, HTH, TIA a.s.o. ;)

Jon Clausen