K.-P. Kirchdörfer wrote:

Hi;

in latest linuxrc archiv from Charles are changes to modutils and modules loading, esp. if you use other medias as a single floppy.
Again we find the bang commands from Dachstein.

The Bering-uClibc team had a look at it and decided for next version to stay with the "Bering way", unless this discussion brings up some new aspects and arguments.

We saw the advantages of the Charles changes (it's flexibel to choose modules dir, the device (cdrom) is not always mounted).

The advantages of the Bering way are from our view: - easier /etc/init.d/modutils code
- easier from a user perspective (it's most automagic)
- there is a link for the correct modules dir (lib/modules/2.4.24)

In practice we found problems like the following:

insmod throws an error with new modutils:

"/lib/modules/2.4.24. not found

Shure cosmetic, but can be confusing (solved in Bering with the correct link - either to cd or /lib/modules)

I don't think the full version of insmod behaves this way, so IMHO this is a bug with busybox (likely stemming from the fact that I think BB is folding in modprobe functionality with insmod).

If we need a symlink from /lib/modules/<kernel-ver>, IMHO it should only point to /lib/modules and not to the CD-ROM.

Further do the bang commands only work during boot (when /etc/init.d/modutils is called) - afterwards the cd will be umounted and the cdrom/lib/modules/2.4.24 is not available anymore.
This is problem for example with ipsec.
During ipsec restart the module is unloaded and reloaded - of course that fails, if the device is not mounted. It's necessary to store ipsec.o in modules.lrp - but the the seamless and easy usage of a complete modules tarball on a mass storage is worthless.

I run IPSec with no problems.

Maybe we have not fully understood how to work with Charles chnaged modutils behaviour and the issues above can easily solved, maybe a few changes in Charles code and it's becoming the best of both worlds...

IIRC, the IPSec scripts don't try to load any modules unless IPSec support isn't already enabled. I simply load all required modules at boot. If you really want, you can add new modules to /etc/modules at runtime and simple "svi modutils" to load them.

I understand the difference of opinion here, but would like to make one request:

- Can the Bering crew make sure any code that mounts (and leaves mounted) a CD-ROM or other device containing modules be restricted to the modules package? This would allow me (and anyone else who doesn't like permanently mounting the CD-ROM and symlinking to it) to replace just the modules package with a custom version. I really don't want to have to run a hacked version of initrd to leave the CD-ROM unmounted.

--
Charles Steinkuehler