Eric Spakman wrote:

Hello Charles,
<snip>
I understand the difference of opinion here, but would like to make one request:

- Can the Bering crew make sure any code that mounts (and leaves mounted) a CD-ROM or other device containing modules be restricted to the modules package? This would allow me (and anyone else who doesn't like permanently mounting the CD-ROM and symlinking to it) to replace just the modules package with a custom version. I really don't want to have to run a hacked version of initrd to leave the CD-ROM unmounted.

Can you help us with a piece of code that can be added in modutils to make it possible to mount a device containing modules? Or do you have an other idea to keep the /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/ directory and mount/umount the modules device on request?

I'm not clearly understanding what you want. If you want to dynamically mount something under user control, refer to the 'bang' command processing in my version of /etc/init.d/modutils.

If you just want to mount a CD and leave it mounted (ie: 'classic' Bering behavior), just mount the device and make a symlink to it. The original Bering /linuxrc script looks for /lib/modules on all mounted PKGPATH devices. This functionality could be replicated in modutils, but I'd probably just test for the existance of /dev/cdrom (and maybe leave a commented definition in /etc/init.d/modutils so folks could enter a different device if they're booting off HDD, flash or some other media). I.e: something like (untested):

# Change this if necessary
MODDEV=/dev/cdrom
MNTDIR=/cdmnt

if [ -b "$MODDEV" ]
        mount -r $MODDEV $MNTDIR
        ln -s $MNTDIR/lib/modules /lib/modules/`uname -r`
fi

...of course, there are lots of 'corner cases' to consider, such as:

- What happens if you want to keep your HDD/Flash/whatever mounted at runtime (lots of reasons to do this, maybe to use for persistent logs, maybe to store web content for a small web server, etc). If you want to symlink /lib/modules/<kernel> somewhere else, the next time you reboot, your symlink will get clobbered by the auto-generation stuff, above.

IMHO, the /lib/modules/<kernel> symlink, if present, should be part of the modules package (ie: not dynamically created), so users can point it somewhere else if desired.

Also, to me this whole discussion is somewhat pointless. I would strongly argue that LEAF distributions can *NOT* be assumed to have the full modules heirarchy (including modules.dep, etc) that you would normally find on a full linux install. If there are programs that rely on this structure to be present, they will need to be modified to work with LEAF. This leaves 'large-format' LEAF systems, which may happen to have a full modules tree, as a special case of the simpler default system which only has /lib/modules/<handful of files>.

I'm more interested in making the full modules directory easy to access in a similar method to the default accessing of files in /lib/modules than I am in trying to duplicate the full-blown modprobe functionality of a full disto.

--
Charles Steinkuehler