Mike,

I think Charles means that we need tar and gzip equivalents in a
interpreter language because that's the compression we use with every
package (lrp = tar.gz). Those utilities are needed to install the packages
with the linuxrc script inside the initramfs.

Zlib is completely different and would also mean to include the zlib
library next to the lua binary inside the initramfs, which is probably
much bigger than using the "native" klibc compiled utilities.

But we have some options to make things smaller and maybe even use the
klibc utilities (if the needed ones are implemented yet). We
(Bering-uClibc team) did some testing with read-only fs (romfs) in initrd,
instead of minix and lzma compression of initrd and the kernel. It's also
possible to use lzma on an initramfs
It has some drawbacks, first with a read-only fs in the initial ramdisk
(read-only seems to be the only option in initramfs anyway) it isn't
possible to populate /dev before the root tmpfs is created. This means
that you can't set tmpfs sizes in leaf.cfg anymore, this has to be done in
syslinux.cfg (or an other bootloader config file). Secondly, if you use
lzma you can't back-up the initrd anymore within a running system. Well
you can but the utilities to do this are so big that you will loose the
space savings enterily. This will probably also be the case in an
initramfs anyway. I remember Charles talking about getting initial modules
out of an initramfs so this may become a non issue.
But even with those space savings it's possible that the size increase due
to a 2.6 kernel and the pre-init utilities makes the image a lot bigger.

Well, like I said before there are not much advantages right now but it's
definitly something we look at.

Eric